Saturday, July 01, 2006

A polite recap.

Hoo-ha! I have just now created new posts on my blog every day for a whole week!

And how does it feel to have been and gone and done it?

Uh, tired. Tired is how it feels.







Seriously. Time = Quality.



I would like to take this time to honor all the heroes who actually read my big stinking huge posts like that. You know who you are, both of you. Give yourselves a big mountain of gold on the back. Because that would be so much cooler than just a pat on the back.




Regrettable personality defects.


Has anyone else noticed that I use a lot of commas? I have. And it annoys the heck out of me. But it just doesn't feel right without the commas!

And then just recently, in the Cars post, I discovered the magically delicious semi colon. So awesome. I am in love. The way it connects two slimly related sentences together: Genius!

You know another of my habits that gets on my nerves? Saying "sorry" too often. I tell people "sorry" all the time. Like just yesterday an older man was walking past the entrance to my work place, and he misinterpreted the swinging, lanky, yet inherently graceful way I jumped down the stairs as if it was a disaster narrowly averted.

"Woah, looks like you almost fell." he said.

"Sorry." I replied.

Like I had almost killed him or something. And then there are those times where I am extraordinarily going out of my way to help someone, and they thank me for it, and my knee jerk reaction is to mumble something about being sorry I didn't do it sooner, or sorry that I didn't do it well enough.

You might think that being too polite is a laughable annoyance to have, but it can sometimes make other people uncomfortable. Like I am killing myself to move all the furniture on an entire dorm floor into the right places so the house keepers don't have to move them afterwards (it's not my job), and then I tell them I am sorry for some reason, and it makes them think to themselves "What kind of jerk does this guy think I am?" and then go into all sorts of trouble to reassure me that I did good.

And being too polite also makes it hard to joke around with people.

It's like politeness is just some sort of a padding we use to make our interactions with strangers more comfortable, before we get to know them. Different people have different tolerations for different things, so by using the rules of politeness we are able to avoid any misunderstandings or inadvertent insults we might have otherwise made by just being ourselves, until we get the chance to know the person, and therefore how to interact with them comfortably.

So when you are constantly too polite, like me, people see you as still using the "stranger protocol" around them, as being distant and aloof. It sucks. I listen to other people playfully tease each other with insults and repartee, and I see the closeness that arises from such familiarity, and I am saddened that I really can't join in.

But I shall make efforts in that direction, insulting everyone I meet as if I was afflicted with a particularly bad case of tourettes syndrome.

That'll fix it! You idiot. Oops I'm sorry, I didn't mean... darn it. Got to work on the apologizing.

Comments:
Wooo! How did you manage that?! Knowing more about what was going on in the states when you were in Guinea? I've lived in the states all my life and you are far more educated in what's going on than I am. hahaha!
 
The vast majority of your posts this week were pretty awesome indeed. My favorite one probably is the "page out of my life" regarding your bike race with the guy with whisps of gray hair coming out from his helmet. hahaha! Very excellently written!
 
You use a lot of commas? Let me go look! I hadn't noticed... ok. Ya... guess you do use a good amount of them cammas. And mountains of gold on the back are incredably heave I'd imagine. Wealthy but... I wonder... which is better? A good back or a mountain of gold on your back. Wait! If you had a mountain of gold on your back that is HUGE! And very heavy. Probably would make the family wealthy enough to make some of it into a gold casket for your dead body. :-D

hahahaha! saying "sorry" too much. Do you get into those conversations with people and they're like, "You say 'I'm sorry' too much. STOP SAYING IT!" "I'm sorry" "There you go again!!" "sorry... oops! Ummm... applesause"
 
hahaha! I cannot tell if you are serious or being crazy about being too polite. I think both. :-D
Ahhh! That makes sense! Thank you. I was actually just talking with Mom about the very thing (yesterday to be exact) only I used "niceness" or "sweetness" instead of "politness" but "politness" is really the case. I have been inlightened! awesome! Well, good luck on getting your smoth edges ruffend up a bit. Ok... that sounds weird. haha.
 
And why did I leave you 5 comments instead of making it one comment? Umm... well... I hear people like getting lots of comments. :-D haha. But I think that they like getting them from different people haha
 
Hahaha, yes lots of comments are awesome, and that is some serious commentage Mary Beth. Yay!

Hehehe I am glad you liked the bike riding post, I can't believe that it actually came out as good as it did. Just lucky, I guess. :)

And a mountain of gold on your back wouldn't be so bad, I think. You could swim in it like Scrooge McDuck does in his piles of gold!
 
hahahaha!! Ya... I'll let you swim in it. ;-) I'll pass on that thanks. :-D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?