Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Cars Review


All-right-TEE-then! K-ka-KABAAM!

That's four.

FOUR DAYS IN A ROW MEHZ AH-MEEZE! And I'm still goin' on strong.

*Trades punches with the air in front of him, dodging and weaving to avoid his imaginary opponent's counter attack, the dreaded UPPERCUT OF APATHY!*

Let us review.



Today's review is of the latest movie I have seen (even though it was a week and a half ago) which happens to be Disney Pixar's Cars.

I have to admit that I didn't expect much from this movie, despite my habitual fanatic love for all things Pixar. I mean, I saw The Incredibles three times within twenty four hours the first time I had access to it. You see, the trailer for Cars seemed pretty formula (Haha, racing joke!... Yeah, I suck.), and besides, using anthropomorphic cars as the main characters is just Krazy with a capital "K". I could understand bugs, toys, monsters, and actual humans as your subject, I mean a person could dress up in a costume looking more or less like those (and they do), but how are you going to get the viewer to believe in the emotions of a car?
Besides, can anyone imagine a sport more boring to watch? Shuffle board is a more exciting spectator sport than watching cars drive in circles all day. Oh look! Sometimes they stop going in circles to fix up their vehicles, postponing the only interesting part of Nascar Racing, which is when the cars explode into fiery doom!

But, my Mom was in town (Makes it sound so banal, more like "My Mom happened to be on the continent..."), so we went to see it on opening weekend.

And I was blown away.




It is one of those movies (all the Pixar movies are this kind) that sucks you into the story and into the world that it creates, and then it doesn't let you go even after the closing credits are done. Pixar had breathed real life into these Cars, with every look and movement nuanced with human expressions done so well that you didn't even notice them until you found yourself caring more than you thought you could for a car. (I am not really a car guy, sorry.)

The story sounds cliche-ed: The old "I'm - so - rich - I've - lost - touch - with - simple - values" routine, but in practice it feels natural and not at all stereotypical, with the movie beginning in the middle of the "Riches - and - Fame - has - gone - to - his - head" part, therefore skipping the normally ubiquitous "My - old - friends - hate - me - because - I - am - a - rich - and - famous - Jerk" part. Which is refreshing; I hate that part.

So the story feels new and involving, but what about the racing sections?
They are awesome. First of all, it provides ample crashes without the boring parts in between, and second of all the movie actually makes the strategy of car racing exciting, with pit stops being critical, sponsorship spellbinding, and turning out of the slide seems a lost kung-fu racing technique.

All in all, I would highly recommend seeing this movie, and I give it a rating of four out of five stars.



I love Pixar.


The next Pixar movie is scheduled for a year from now in Summer 2007, it is called "Ratatouille", and it involves a picky eater; something I could totally get into, being a so called "picky eater" myself.



Is it wrong if I don't like eating nasty food?

Comments:
Wow, John. I'm gone for like a week and a half and you update three freaking times. Pretty cool. I went ahead and read the rest of them just so I could be saved from your wrath. ;) Sadly, I have to wait a few months to see Cars being as I am in Guinea but I'm glad you liked it. It makes me feel happy because I thought it was going to be kind of stupid.
 
What??? Your mom was in town??? Like... the US? WOW! I am amazed that I didn't hear about that before. Is it just your mom or your whole family?

hahaha! Once again your post has proven to be delightful. So much so that my bro Matthew had to come over a few times to find out what interesting thing you said next.

Wow. I can't wait to see Cars. I didn't realize it was released! Now I know! so cool!

By the way... I am not used to checking your blog for updates every day yet. This is quite amazing. Pat yourself on the back! Wow!
 
Cars is a good movie I'm going to buy it for my family for Christmas, so that if/when I ever visit/live with them again, I can watch it whenever I want.
I'm impressed with your mad updating skills...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?