Monday, July 24, 2006

Two incredible comment-conversation trackers.

You know what, I want to write something meaningful today. Something useful, for a change, not just pointless and long-winded insanity.

I want to write pointless and long-winded insanity that will change your LIFE.

The road to empowerment.


I have lost track of the number of desperate people who come up to me everyday and ask me:

"Mr. Wilkos, how can I escape the day after day, hour after hour mind melting tedium of checking blog posts I have commented on, forums I have asked a question on, checking these sites every five minutes (does this sound like you? I see you smiling in the back ma'm, you know what I'm talking about), checking every five minutes for days on end, just to see if anyone has responded to my comment or query?
Surely there is some way to avoid spending the rest of my life online reloading pages just so I can see the response to my comment."

Well folks, the day of your deliverance has come. For I have found two simple online tools that will end your commenting doldrums.

Commentful


Commentful site.
I'll begin with the less complex of the two, Commentful.

The concept is simple. Sign up on the site with your email address and a password that will be used on your account, and you can instantly login to the site and install the Commentful firefox extension.

Commentful tour.This extension causes a tiny bulb to show up in your firefox window. Now every time you post a comment on a blog, Digg, Flickr, Zooomr, or vBulleting forum thread, all you have to do is right click on the page and select "Add to commentful". A box will pop up where you can modify the comment URL, post title, and the amount of days you want Commentful to keep checking the post for new comments. When someone replies to your comment the extension's bulb will begin to blink, allowing you to drop whatever you're doing and hurry over to see the new development in your online life. You can also keep track of your comments using the site's Watchlist.

This seems like a very handy tool, however it isn't quite as full featured or as easy to use as the second commenting tool I will show you.

coComment


Cocomment site.

Like Commentful, coComment will take you straight to your account after you register, but this time you have a choice between installing the very easy to use firefox extension, which will automatically track your conversations without the need of popups, or, if you are unfortunate enough not to be using firefox, you can click and drag a link to your bookmarks, which you click on a comments page (before you press "submit").

Learn about cocomment.The coComment extension also displays a tiny icon in firefox, and it's color will indicate to you if the page you are on contains a trackable conversation or not, and when a new reply is made an indicator will appear next to it.

The coComment system of conversation tracking has many bonuses, such as a feature that will show you the people that are commenting at the same places as you (your neighbors), the ability to show your recent comments from around the internet in the sidebar on your blog (so everyone can appreciate your brilliance), and the ability to track conversations on sites that don't even have a comment form (meta conversation).

CoComment should work fine on most blogs, as well as flickr, digg, etc... with one exception. You poor souls with a Xanga blog will unfortunately not be able to integrate coComment properly in your site, as Xanga has introduced some new security features that prevent most javascript code from running properly on their pages. I think that you will still be able to use coComment to track Xanga conversations, this just means that you wont be able to put a cool button on your comment forms that allows anyone to track the conversation, without the use of an extension or bookmarklet.

Conclusion


I signed up for both of these so that I could test them for this article, and of the two I most enjoyed coComment for ease of use, active community, and large goodie bag, however, since most of the bloggers I know are all on Xanga, and Xanga doesn't let you comment without having your own Xanga, I really don't get to make that many comments, although all the comments I did make worked like a charm.

I hope you blogophiles will enjoy using these handy tools to make your life easier, I, however, will have to use them a bit longer before I decide if I really make enough comments to merit such a convenience.

Well, off to beddy-bye for me, see ya'll tomorrow.

Comments:
Oh wow John! OH WOW! hahahaha. I'm a little slow this morning.. anyway... my first "Oh wow" was about TWO POSTS IN ONE DAY!!! Atta go John! I was checking people's blogs and xanga's and my email and heading over to yours and it the sad truth hit me... I had already read your post for Monday. And then I see... ANOTHER UPDATE!!!!! wow. And also... the comment box has changed... :-D I like this one better thank you very much! :-D

Hmmmmm... interesting that people would come up with those comment trackers. Haha! Proof that you should get Xanga. ;-) hahaha. :-D
 
Theres something satisfing about visiting johns blog 5 days after m last visit and fing half an hours reading.
U should be a writer
Joel
 
Ahhh Too many splling ERRORS: Bad Joel!!!
Since I made so many errors I will have To write it over again

There's something satisfing about visiting Johns blog 5 days after my last visit and finding half an hours worth of reading. Yay
U should be a writer
Joel
 
Joel has a good point. Actually two good points. 1 you already know what his website is (as well as mine) and 2 your writing is satisfying to read.
 
oh ya... I am most curious to see how you will see me and everyone else today seeing as we are scattered all over the world. Mainly the US and Guinea. But still... if its a 2 day flight from the US to Guinea... theoretically that would be impossible. Of course... knowing how famious and great you are (better than Spiderman) I'm sure you know Scotty and can have him beam you up and use the transporter to get you everywhre today. Impressive. I look forward to seeing you. ;-) hahaha Of course, I must tell you that my bed time is before 10pm so if you get this any later than that we'll have to cancel. ;-) hahaha!
 
Oh yah, MB, Scotty and me go waay back, although Jordy (the eye-band guy) is my beam-me-up go-to man. However, you forget that I have GOOGLE EARTH and may track anyone across the surface of my planet. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

So I'll be seeing you; but you won't be seeing me!
*More evil laughter*

Hey Joel, I didn't even notice your spelling errors, if that says anything about my own spelling skills. All I've got to say is thank god for spellcheck. :D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?