Friday, July 28, 2006

How I got rid of my self respect using social bookmarking.

Okay, so yesterday during a break at work I was surfing the internet with the help of one of the many social bookmarking sites that I use, and I see this cool link on one of them, and since I'm at work, I post the link to Del.icio.us so that I can get a better look at it when I get home.

Later, I check the front page of del.icio.us, which is where the hourly top three bookmarks are continuously updated, and I am unsurprised to find that the top link for that hour was the site I had bookmarked before. Social bookmarking sites seem to share most of the same top links most of the time, so this was nothing to write home about.

But then I saw that my name was listed as the first person to post this link on del.icio.us, and I freaked out, looked left and right for someone to show this to, remembered that I was alone in the office, and silently did the "Yesss!" arm-pump. I am kinda new to this whole "social bookmarking" thing, so the idea that my name (or at least my internet handle) was on the homepage of a popular website seemed like a tremendous accomplishment to me.

Rain drops keep fallin' on my head... (happy music)


The del.icio.us link.

The whole rest of the day I had a spring in my step, a certain confidence in my demeanor, that said that I was an important man; after all I was on the front page of a web site viewed by millions; perhaps you've heard of me? In my case a complement can sometimes be just as hurtful as an insult, if not more. My ego swells easily and extensively, much to my ire.


And thanks to this ill-deserved supreme self-confidence, yesterday's post about "Who wants to be a Superhero?" was particularly scathing (for me, at least). Okay, so the show wasn't that great, but I don't think I needed to say that Stan Lee was a senile and bigoted old man, because even though this might possibly be true, it wasn't very nice of me to say so. Besides, what am I, a television expert? Who am I to tell people where the line between so-bad-it's-good, and so-bad-it's-worse lies?

"Digging" my own hole.


And then I figured, hey, what the heck, I am king of the internet and all, so why don't I submit my post to every social bookmarking site that I can think of.




Two people actually voted for it on Digg, both within a minute or so of my posting it on the site, which led to much giggling-schoolgirl-like excitement, as well as my staying up until 2AM watching to see how my article fared.

When I finally went to bed I was sure I would be really late for work the next morning, but strangely enough, I actually woke up early this morning, and wasn't late to work, for once.

The penny drops.


Around mid-day it finally hit me about what an arrogant jerk I had been (look at what I named the links: both mention Stan Lee's senility); I still can't believe what a jackass I was to put that stuff up all over the internet.

My stupidity had a sorta neat side effect, though, that in one day I got as many visits as I normally do in a week. Check out the graphic:
Stupidity brings serendipity.

Perhaps I should be an idiot more often.

Coming Soon.


I hope to mess around with my blog this weekend and make it look really cool, and ironically, some of the things I plan on adding are social bookmarking submission buttons. Some people just never learn I guess.

Comments:
Hahah, I feel the same way when my comments on Digg.com or Yahoo's message board get dugg/recommended. There's nothing like being praised by total strangers :D
 
"There's nothing like being praised by total strangers."

Exactly! It is strangely satisfying when anonymous people with no social obligations to make you feel good vote for your stuff.

Not that the opinion of you guys who do know me isn't more important to me!
 
Hey John! Wow! How are you doing? Well I have been messing around with the email stuff on my blog and it isn't working...so I think I may need to appeal to the King of the Internet that I know and plead for assistance. :-) Anyways I haven't a clue what you are talking about in your post...seeing as how I am sort of out of the loop here in the boonies...but that is strange that your blog gets recognized when you post unkind things. Sort of ironic. In order to be popular in much todays society you have to be mean apparently...that is no fun. A good discussion topic!
 
yay! I am spared your wrath! hahaha! How fun!
 
Hey MB, yeah, I am ashamed of myself, and as to the difference between the "normal self" that comes through my writing, and my actual normal self, the only difference is that I have a lot of time to think about what I'm going to say when I'm writing. :)

Hey Jonathan! Glad you are getting around to posting on blogger again! Yes, I figured that all this stuff might be incomprehensible, and should have explained all this social bookmarking stuff beforehand. I plan to explain it soon, though!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?