Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Anyone have a towel?

Hey, short post here as I must keep an eye on the stick of Old Spice deodorant which keeps on moving in the corner of my vision. It's planning something, and after a life-time of it's head being used to scent my underarms, that can't be good news.


Towel Day :: A tribute to Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

That's right! Next Thursday we celebrate the annual TOWEL DAY! HUZZAH!

But what in the name of Almighty Bob is a TOWEL day, you ask? Well, Towel Day is the date that has been set aside every May 25th to remember the late literary luminary Douglas Adams, mainly by carrying a towel with you everywhere you go all day long.




But why, for the love of Bob, why a towel? Because they're awesome. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy itself puts it better:
" A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical
value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.


As you can see there is ample reason for you to show up wearing a towel next Thursday. Just remember, real HitchHiker's fans wear nothing but the towel.

Ho ho ho. I'm ridicul... ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!




If only I'd had my towel.

Cleaning up all this blood would have been way easier.

`

Comments:
RUN AWAY FROM THE SCARY DEODORANT!!! I've always said that the european brands, the spray cans are safer, and can double as flamethrowers too. : )
 
Towel day in africa??
Q: Whats it for??
A: drying the sweat it creates by wearing it !!!!

DId you know you can download the beta for MS Office 2007 on the microsoft website. You can use it until Feb 2007. 440 Mb.
 
Happy Towel Day or whatever it is called. ;-) I am still trying to figure out if you are being serious or not ... and awesome idea about the flame thrower, Mel. Hmm ... I should try it ...
 
Yay!! An update! OH MY GOODNESS! Well, some of the things you said were, um, rather, um, cough, um, cough, er... ummmm... rather... eh, um, interesting.

Happy Towel Day! Did you wear your towel today??
 
about the flame throwing thing... another MK friend was telling me about guys using the spray on deoderant and spraying it on their arms and torching it. Sounds rather painful to me, personally. But hey, I hear mks are weird. ;-) hahaha. Awesome, but weird. :-D
 
Yeah, I totally went all out on towel day today. Booyah. Here is a link to a picture of me on towel day.

I feel safe, somehow...

Notice how people wearing towels look totally different than when they aren't wearing towels. A peculiarity of the towel mystique, it seems.
 
WOW John NICE tan man. How many days in the tanning salon dude? =)

Yes john its VERY true that people wearing towels look different than people NOT wearing any. A very intelligent observation!!!
 
I've been spending 24/7 with 2 towels for the past week. Of course, these towels were on the couch I've been stuck on, and their purpose was to catch any blood that might escape from the gaping holes in my mouth, where my wisdom teeth used to be, before they were violently ripped from my mouth, causing the holes in my mouth, causing the bleeding, causing the use of the towels. (Zoolander moment there ^)
 
Hahaha! I had to laugh about the Towel Thing.
 
Ya... I agree with Joel... very very nice tan. Yep yep. you look totally different in that picture. Glad you were able to cellebrate the day some. I am afriad to say I missed it, actually I didn't miss it, I just found out half way through the day and decided not to bother. hahaha
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?