Thursday, November 17, 2005

Hey, my summer photoshopping Sudoku.

Video Code Proudly Provided by MVSpot.com


Alright people, blog posting time. See that space above these words? If you have windows media player installed and an activeX plugin in your browser ( apparently firefox does not come with an activeX plugin. Lotta fun spend discovering that.) you should see a black box with some play buttons and that kinda stuff. If you don't see anything and have firefox, click here. That'll learn you how to get firefox to hop onto this multimedia bandwagon. Now, that being taken care of, those of you with fast internet connections will have your senses promptly caressed by the music video of "Girl" by Beck. And such an awesome video ( and song, of course. ) it is. Those of you with worse internet connections will have the doo-doo scared out of you when your computer suddenly starts blaring music for no apparent reason half an hour from now after you forget to close my blog's window and continue surfing the internets oblivious. ( Yeah, that happened to me a couple times when on my adventure to find out how to get the darn music videos to work. I thought my computer was possessed and only remembered that the tab I had left open in my forth firefox window contained a music video after I had attempted to exorcise my computer with a handy baseball bat. Wow, this was all in parenthesis? My writing skills are amazing. I am now going to be a rebel and choose never to close that paren. Hahaha. Take THAT laws of the written language! Take that indeed!

Oh, and check this out! As if we needed another reason to be in awe and wonder of he who is so humbly called The John ( a.k.a. Me ), I have made the jaw-dropping picture that follows while in a photoshopping war trance. Or more like a Gimping war trance. But that just sounds wierd, so I won't say it even though I just did. Seen men in black?
*FLASH!*
What you think you just read was actually the light of the planet Jupiter reflected off of swamp gas.
Anyway, what got me started was my good buddy Alex Rehn ( Blog link to the right. ) sent me some Prince of Persia Pics to resize and send them back so they could resume living their meaningful lives with him as AIM avatars. The resizing didn't work out, but while I was messing around with The Gimp ( Sorta like a free version of Photoshop. Kinda. ), I discovered the wonders of masks, which basically just lets you add/remove/transparencify bits of a picture really easily. Which led to me discovering the magics of paths ( save selections for reuse without selecting again.) And then the greatness of layer effects.
Do not worry if you just sorta dozed off though all that.
Just WAKE UP now because it is time for you to make "OooOOOo!!" and/or "Aahhhh!!" sounds ( other forms of amazement, awe, or astoundment are also acceptable.) as you witness the incredible wonder that is my opus.

Come, you may rise from your prostrate awe my children. For, while it might not seem believeable right now, I am but a mere mortal who has simply been blessed with god-like photoshopping skills. I have this picture set as my background right now. I am so proud. ( As you may have noticed by now. ) If you can't already tell, what I did was the following:
Feel free to tell all your friends about the awesome picture I made. Also feel free to gush to them about how great my photoshopping skills are. Go ahead. Be my guest. Everyone who doesn't think it is the greatest picture ever made is just jealous. Which is totally understandable, considering.

Well, enough of that. Consider ego trip over. One more thing before I let ya'll get back to not throwing up in your mouths from a conceited overdose of John-worship. I have recently discovered the joys of SUDOKU!! I love it. In fact, I love it so much that I am in fact married to it. All of my fortune will inherited by it upon my death. We have three lovely children named Sue, Doe, and Koo. And I have not yet explained it to you. It is easy to get side tracked when you are blinded by love.
Sudoku is a puzzle game akin to a crossword puzzle or a word jumble in that it is something you fill out with a pencil and it is included in newspapers and etc... , the main difference being that I do not hate Sudoku like I do those others. I would be less inclined to hate the other puzzles if they did not require absurd amounts of pop culture or english language knowledge, but that is another story. No, Sudoku, whose name means single number in Japan where it gained popularity, has more of a universal appeal in that it requires only logic to solve, a fact which certainly augmented it's spread to world wide popularity earlier this year. ( March I believe. Excuse me if this is old news to you, I happened to be in Africa at the time. )

Sudoku is fairly simple at it's foundation. The concept is this: Fill in the grid so that every row, every column, and every 3x3 box contains the digits 1 through 9 with no repeats. That's it. But as with any good game, while it is easy to pick up, it is suprisingly hard to master. Clicking on the Sudoku link will take you to a wikipedia page filled with different techniques used to fill in the boxes. This is another place to learn how to solve them. These games can get crazy hard, I think I spent 5 hours ( straight!) trying to solve one of them, and strangely enough, the level of difficulty does not depend on how many numbers they give you to start with. No, the difficulty depends almost entirely on the placement of the numbers and the logical leaps needed to fill in the empty squares. Sudoku has been my only faithful companion during boring lectures, saving me from the dull droning of the professor and transporting me to a happy world full of bright green grass and singing birds and trickleing rivers where I feel like a genius after finally filling every one of those little boxes with precisely placed numbers. It is great. I think it's popularity hit great brittain the hardest, and it's always been pretty popular in Japan ( even though it started in New York, I think, where it was largely ignored. ), but even here at heart-of-america USA it is difficult to find a school newspaper where it has not been already torn out ( difficult to finish in one sitting with the hard ones.), or where some or all of the boxes have been already filled out. Anyway, I highly recomend it if you don't have something better to do ( Like listen in class. ).

Alrighty then, let us review what we have learned today. First, Beck is awesome. Second, the Dune books are awesome inspiration. And lastly, Sudoku is awesome. *Contented Sigh* What a fruitful post this has been, I am indeed content.
:]
Anyway, sleep beacons and I hasten to it's soothing embrace. Thank you for reading! Night!

[EDIT] Please comment and tell me if that video worked for you. That would help me out alot when deciding if I should put more up. Also, if it didn't work, try pushing play or reloading the page. Hope it works! Good song! Um, also, you can get the solution to that Sudoku puzzle by clicking on it. Just so you know. :)
[EDIT]

Comments:
awesome vid man...
 
Wow, Corintians, that was fast! I was just testing to see if this stuff worked! Thanks for the comment! At least I know it works for some people! :)
 
Yay! Thanks for writing again. I'm glad you've found the love of your life...:-D Seriously, that game looks like fun. I shall have to try it sometime.
 
wow! Another post! My comment on that game: it looks very S-like. :-)
 
The only thing about the video is that Windows Media player doesn't seem to buffer enough or something and the the video looks like a series of snapshots. I hate that. I like smooth life like videos. If I want snapshots I could look at a Powerpoint presentation. And even that can do video.
Nice picture but I'm not that impressed since I am sure I could have done it too. :-p
Later.
 
Howdy John! Neat picture! The video actually worked (amazing since we got dial-up)! You have a new hobby eh? Hmm...this sudoku stuff looks ok. Sounds simple. Not sure how much I would really like it but wouldn't hurt to try it some time.
 
Hey John,
You have any more of these sudoku puzzles? That was so easy and I enjoyed doing it too. Is there a web site where I can find more of these?
I hope you are keeping up with you studies. ;-)
Later.
 
Oops, sorry John. I didn't mean to dis your picture. It is a very cool picture and I am impressed. What I wrote before may sound like I wasn't impressed. I didn't mean to say that but that for it to be really, really impressive it would have needed to go into that further off realm of something I can't do. Now the dust cloud around the worm, that is impressive. I'm not sure I could do as good a job of that as you did. Now, if you had drawn the man or maybe imposed your face inside the cloak complete with shadowing and all, that would have really impressed me. But as it is, be impressed, very impressed, it is worthy of it. :-D
 
Oh, and a thought on the video. Can you make it so it doesn't start right away when one enters your blog? Otherwise when you get more than one on your blog then every time someone views your blog they will be welcomed with a chores of "Battle of the Bands."
:-)
 
AAAH! Sudoku is taking over the world! It is everywhere! honestly, every where I go, people are talking about it, doing it. Today there was even a 'contest' (they have one every week), it was Sudoku. It's all over the place!!
 
Hehehe! Excellent idea Dwayne! Actually, I had already realised that the autostart thing could get outta hand, so I figure only the newest vids would autostart. Eh, seems to work good. :) Thanks for the heads up though!

Yes! Believe me, I know that anyone could make that picture, expecially if I can do it, but I was just sorta hyped about discovering the new functionalities of gimp, and was actually more pysched by the ease with which I was able to make the picture. Plus, it's the little things that you don't notice that took me the most time. Like the worm's shadow, and the shading on it's body. :) Thanks very much for the constructive critism, though! ( And all the comments. Yay! )

Sudoku. Rules. All. :) Yes, Jess! It will keep on invading until you finally assimilate to it's wonders! Resistance is futile!
Hey, and you can get unlimited ( for a month at least ) Sudoku puzzles to solve on your computer, each one unique, by downloading the sudoku program found here.
Personally, the ability to make the program tell you if your entry is correct or not takes all the fun out of solving them. I just end up cheating. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to stick to the ones from the school's newspaper.

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS!
 
The video worked for me, in case you are still wondering about that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?